Pages

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Move people.

My sister died on January 8, 2003 in a plane crash that devastated my family and changed our lives forever. I would say her life changed our lives more than her death did and I am thankful that God allowed her to be with us for 18 awesome years before he took her back. But for about 3 years after the accident the circumstances of her death made it difficult for me to appreciate her life and the ensuing eating disorder and depression were evidences of my grieving soul. When I was finally able to look past her death and appreciate the memories of her life, I was able to see the positive effects of her life not only in my life but in others' lives as well. My dad received this message this morning, 7 years after Christiana left us.


Subject: Not sure if you remember me.
I was a friend of Christiana's. She has been in my thoughts much lately. I apologize for failing to connect with you and your wife for so long. I pray for you both often. Christiana, in many ways saved my life. I weep as I write this. It's late, I'm tired, but it's true. I have been so immensely blessed, by no fault of my own. The glory has to go to God, however, your daughter's brief influence on my life altered my course forever. When I got to Bob Jones I chose science to get as far away from Bible as I could. I hated it there and nearly got kicked out that first semester. However, Shepherd and Sh____ are close enough that I made one kind, true friend that I sat by in multiple classes. Your daughter was a fantastic example of the believer to me. To make a long story short, God brought things full circle. I graduate from medical school a month from today bound for a 3-year family medicine residency in St. Louis. From there I owe the military a little time to pay back my scholarship and from there my wife and I feel strongly called to third world missions. I'm (Lord willing) going to be a missionary. In a month I'll be a physician. I have a beautiful wife and two great kids. Without God bringing Christiana into my life I would have been dismissed from Bob Jones (where I later met my wife)... I'd be like my friends who stayed here to go to school. My life would be a disaster. I often ask questions like "why me". I have no answer. Thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter. Thank you for sending her to a Christian school. Thank you for coming to meet us that day in the snack shop. I recently returned from a month-long medical trip to Haiti to assist the earthquake victims. I have attached an article written about that trip that has some elements of my testimony in it. Christiana will forever be a part of that testimony. I didn't mention her by name because I wasn't sure how you and your family might feel about it. I don't know how you'll feel about this message. I apologize if I'm rambling. I just wanted you to know that I love you and am so thankful for your family. God Bless.


Your life is powerful and you have the potential to change the world by influencing individuals. Stay true to your beliefs and focus on developing encouraging relationships. You're going to die one day and you're going to leave behind people who are changed. Make sure you influence them well. Be courageous and live loudly.

3 comments:

Hosea63 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hosea63 said...

that was absolutely beautiful -bri

hepperso said...

That's really cool. I remember Benjamin telling me that your sister had died, but I didn't know much about it. I hope that God would be so kind as to use you and me in others lives in a powerful way.