Pages

Monday, May 03, 2010

Job, yay!

I've been blessed to get a job for the summer as an Administrative Assistant at a real estate agency in Scottsdale. I'm into my second week and I like it a lot so far. Steep learning curve for sure, but I'm enjoying the challenge.
But now the workday is over and my room is a mess, my paint pallet has been clean for too long, my running shoes are calling, and I'm struggling against the fatigue that comes from a 9-5 schedule. Actually I'm not fighting against it at all, I'm lazily sprawled out on my bed, surfing the internet, reading news, and trying to find any reason to not move my bottom.

It's the 9-5 syndrome that keeps people's lives dull and TVs on from 6-9.
I don't know how to fight it really, or how to have a balanced life that allows relaxing activities but that aren't mindless. But when your mind is zooming for 8 hours, you really don't want to use it anymore for the rest of the day. No good man.

That's why I'm going to allow myself an hour of either sleep or mindless blabla after work, but after that it's a run, a clean up, and painting. Those things or healthy socialization. So I'll use that mindless hour well and be as super mindless as I can, googling absolutely random things or just staring out the window glazily, enjoying no-brain time, and then it's move it.
Because what's worse then going to bed knowing you did nothing productive beside what happened at work that day, and then when you wake up it's back to the desk?

We have more strength than we think. It's our minds that suck us into unproductivity.
Fight those bum thoughts, Jul!

:) My, I feel motivated already.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I find your post motivating, too! I am coming to understand why people participate in the pointless, numbing activities that they do as I am tempted to do the same. Since graduation I have come to understand what it means to LIVE in a different way. Numbing, pleasurable activities motivate me to keep existing if that is all I'm doing. And it is easier to slip unconsciously into just existing and feeding these desires because anything else requires discipline and keeping a close eye on the way you spend your time, money, etc. But an undisciplined life is no life at all. Boundaries, parameters - these give us freedom. They protect us. They keep our eyes open. I'm beginning to see how the Gospel fits in here.

Thanks for this post! It is encouraging to hear that someone else is trying to fight off this sort of thing, too.