Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

journey start!

I flew into Philly this morning and after dragging my 50lbs suitcase, knocking my guitar around, and breaking my back with my ungodly weighty backback all through the septa train station and then china town, I made it sweaty, happy, and definitely slap happy sleepy to my sisters apartment. Thank God for crocs. And again I remind you all mine are not the traditional ones, they are a nicer looking line of crocs. I am a croc hater and in general will sacrifice comfort for looks. There- I said it. I grew up in Europe, I care about how I look. And from what I read Bangladeshis care as well so I think we are a-ok. But, consequently packing these past few days has been a stinking challenge. On the one hand I have everyday work which I want to look nice for, and then I have trekking in Nepal which I'll need "rough it" clothing for. And then the winters are cold and the summers are hot..... So I ended up packing about 4 outfits and whatever else I need, which I'm sure I will, I can get there.

I also discovered REI this week. LIFE SAVER. Amazing store.

Now I'm off to bed. I'll be here in Philly seeing friends and family until Monday and then I'll see more family in Harrisburg and from there to orientation in Akron on Thursday. Orientation for a week and then....................
Which, I think I'm already famous in Mymensingh because someone just told me via twitter that I was in the newspaper today. Interesting...
I love being able to see people in PA and I know that orientation will be excellent but man do I look forward to finally being in Bangladesh and settling down!
First thing I do there will be brew a fresh cup of coffee in my REI super durable and efficient french press. That is, if we have electricity................

No comments: